Nicolas Genest has been Chief Technology Officer of Modcloth and orchestrated the rebirth of the brand alongside CEO Matt Kaness and a renewed executive team in 2016. The replatformed retailor was then acquired by Jet.com/Walmart and Nicolas secured the transition.
Previously, as CTO of The RealReal from 2013 to 2016, he turned around the entire technology platform and ignited the growth of Julie Wainwright’s Luxury Resale platform by transitioning the stalled company out of an outsourced technology model. He managed to capture the entire intellectual property of the enterprise in a proprietary Information System that kept being invested in and which generated revenue of over $800 Million in 2018.
The commerce endeavor for Nicolas started in Paris, France where he officiated as CTO of the European leader vente-privee.com. There he learned from Jacques-Antoine Granjon, inventor of the Flash Sales model. He scaled the digital commerce platform, its back-end alongside the business intelligence systems there before moving to New York to jump-start Vente-Privee USA, a joint venture with American Express in 2011. Under his tenure as a technologist, the highly profitable pioneer of Flash Sales grew from 170M to 1.2B Euros from 2007 to 2012.
Previously, Nicolas was at Microsoft as a Business Intelligence and Platform Engineer where he worked on Database, BI and .Net development technologies. He also served at Pfizer as Project Manager leading a team of developers producing critical web-based intranet applications.
- 15 years of experience managing technology in all kinds of industries, contexts and cultures in Canada, France and the United States.
- Strong track record at building and empowering extraordinary teams leading them to delivering long lasting value within a powerful culture
- Successful in small and huge projects within small constrained structures or heavy and complex organizations. Experienced in local, off-shore, near-shore and split-team projects.
- Successful in managing annual IT budgets ranging from $1MM to $25MM and in managing teams of 15 or 120 collaborators.
- Engineering for Major-league E-Commerce (Heavy traffic, high-availability, Security) with solutions generating yearly revenue over 1B$ and handling 2.5 million unique daily visitors.
- End to End Business Intelligence Solutions, Advanced Decision-making on Big Data
- Sustained Startup Rhythm by leveraging cloud-based technologies